Monday, December 13, 2010

Walked/Ran 5 miles as a rest-run.

My wakeup heart rate was 54, and I felt pretty good. My son, Chad, broke his ankle two weeks ago, and his family is staying with us until he can do more for himself. He and his two-year-old daughter sleep in my computer room, and that means that I can't stay up late at night working on my blogs. The result is that I'm getting 7 1/2 to 8 hours sleep each night, and that is really helping my wakeup heart rate to be down.

I'm not supposed to be running until Thursday of this week due to surgery for a Basal Cell skin cancer last Thursday. I did want to run some today, so I reversed my running and walking and walked for 102 left-foot-steps and ran for 66 lfs, hoping that small amount of running wouldn't cause my surgery to start bleeding. Monday is my 5-mile rest run, and that is the distance I did this morning.

The temperature was in the 50s (F), the sky was cloudy, and it was relatively warm. In fact, about half of the runners who passed me were wearing shorts. I did wear my long pants and the three layers that I use in cold weather, but I took off my wind breaker (nylon jacket) on the way back. I was still too warm with the two layers that were left on me.

If I run/walk 7 miles on Wednesday and 7 miles on Saturday, I'll have 19 miles for the week, and that will be the most miles I've done in a week since my blood clots on January 19, 2009. I'm capping my Wednesday/Thursday run/walk at 7 miles, so all of my future increases in distance will be in my Friday/Saturday long run. When that gets to 10 miles, I'll cap it and not make further increases in distance for a while. That will give me 22 miles per week, and I want to run that for quite a few weeks so my body gets used to it. During that time, I'll slowly increase the number of lfs I run while keeping my walking lfs at 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment