Thursday, January 06, 2005

Sugar spikes are bad. Low HR is good.

I haven't run much during the past week or so. My wakeup HR went sky high to 60. Usually when my HR goes that high it's because of lack of sleep. However, I've been getting good sleep. I can think of two possibilities for causing the HR to rise.

1. During the New Years weekend I ate a lot of candy, chips, etc. It was a dumb thing to but at the time it tasted good :( Foods with a high glycaemic value (high in sugars) cause an insulin spike, and this upsets your body chemistry. I'm not a doctor, but I would suspect this could affect ones heart rate.

2. I've been running four months since my accident, and during that time, I've made very good progress in my running. I've consistently added 10-12% each week to my distance (one time I added 18%), and for the most part I've felt good during my running. It may be that it is time to give my body some extra rest. The running literature recommends that you take a monthly rest week to give your body extra rest. The literature recommends running heavy/light during each week, and then, once a month, decreasing the mileage during the week to run a light week. I haven't been doing that, and my body may have been signaling me to give it some extra rest.

At any rate, my wakeup HR was down to 55 this morning, and I felt pretty good. I ran my 3 mile course and felt good at the end. The temperature was 32, and a light snow was falling (we have about 4-6 inches on the ground). The sidewalks and streets were clear of snow, and I had a good run. It was nice to get out and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment